The Airbus A380 is the world’s largest commercial aircraft.
4 million components
The Airbus A380 is made of 4 million individual parts, produced by 1,500 companies in 30 countries.
30 double decker busses
A fully loaded A380 can weigh as much as 30 double decker buses complete with 2,600 passengers.
20 meters longer
At almost 73 metres, an A380 is 20 metres longer that Nelson’s Column at Trafalgar square in London (52m).
575 tonnes maximum take-off weight
394 tonnes maximum landing weight
369 tonnes zero fuel weight
At 575 tonnes the A380 weighs as much as 165 elephants!
Produces 75g of CO2 per passenger
25% less CO2
On release the A380 produced 25% less carbon dioxide than any other large passenger aircarft
Made with light and durable material
The Nose Cone
The very front of an aircraft is called the Nose Cone, and it is one of the most important parts of the plane because it has three major uses.
- The Cockpit is located in the nose cone and the cockpit is where the pilots sit and fly the aircraft from.
- Secondly, the shape of the nose cone is another important feature. The pointy shape at the front makes it very aerodynamic, meaning the aircraft can travel through the air with low resistance. The shape of the Nose Cone allows air to flow around an aircraft easily to reach areas such as the wings and engines of the aircraft. This is essential for generating flight.
- Finally, at the very front of the nose cone is the planes radar equipment. Radar is a system where set a of radio waves is aimed at an object or area, projected and then they bounce back to deliver key pieces of information such as how high you are, what direct you are travelling in, how fast are you going and what the environment is like around you. There are two important pieces of radar at the front of a plane.
- Firstly you have a set of radar tells the pilots where we are in the world, how high they are and how fast we are going. This is known as the navigation radar.
- Secondly you also have a set of weather radar to tell the pilots what the weather is like around the aircraft so they can avoid any bad weather.